With the start of the New Year you are probably making resolutions on how you can improve yourself and one of your goals may be to increase your productivity. If so, here are some tips that will help:
- Make a plan for your day, setting a goal for reaching a certain point by lunchtime, giving yourself a break and small treat or reward when you reach that goal.
- Your treat or reward from #1 can be taking a break by walking around or going outside, especially if it is a sunny day. A 20-30 minute break will leaving you feeling refreshed and ready to get back at it.
- Start early or stay late to make the most of your time. You know whether you are more of a morning or an evening person and use that to your advantage, working during the times when you are most productive and there are fewer outside interruptions.
- If you work in an area of cubicles, use noise-cancelling headphones to keep out the sounds in the office, allowing you to focus on your work.
- Bring some healthy snacks for your lunch or break, don’t eat a lot of sugar or carbs that can cause you to “crash” later in the day.
- Make sure you get enough sleep. Do not work or use your phone/computer in your bedroom, make this an area that is off limits from possible interruptions of your sleep.
- If your workload seems overwhelming, don’t focus on the entire workload. Instead, just focus on the next small step.
It isn’t always easy to be productive and at times it is impossible due to unforeseen circumstances that may arise. If you are persistent and practice the tips above, you will be able to make the most of the time that you have at work, rather than working more hours at a less than productive level.